QuintilesIMS are seeking an experienced Editor to join their Content Development team based at their European Head office on the outskirts of Reading.
We develop and produce a broad range of programmes and materials for pharmaceutical clients. Our activities include organising international meetings and exhibitions, creating educational programmes for doctors and patients, and developing recruitment materials to encourage both patients and investigators to join clinical trials.
You will assist in the production of high-quality medical communication programs and materials for pharmaceutical clients. Handle the editorial progression of jobs from approved copy to print stage, ensuring that optimum communication is achieved through effective use of language and design.
The successful candidate will be a first-class editor, with hands-on copy-editing and proof-reading experience with a life sciences degree and/or will be currently employed in scientific publishing or medical communications. We will also consider any editors used to working in a highly regulated or compliance based industry who can demonstrate an interest in science or medicine.
This position will suit a highly organised individual who is looking for a varied and challenging role that involves working across multiple projects in addition to day-to-day editorial tasks. Successful candidates will have the opportunity to work on a wide range of bespoke communications (including digital materials) for all levels of target audience – from healthcare professionals to patients and consumers.
If you have a keen eye for detail, an interest in design and layout, and you thrive in a fast-moving environment, we would like to hear from you!
Besides all the benefits for our employees, there are many resources available to employees to encourage a work-life balance to enable them to become the best they can be in their work life as well as their personal life.
Role responsibilities include:
• Edit and proofread copy for a range of educational and promotional items – including printed materials, slide presentations, and digital media projects – to agreed style/specification, checking content, clarity, accuracy, consistency, syntax and grammar.
• Liaise with creative designers to develop appropriate design options for all materials.
• Mark up approved copy/draw up page plans for typesetting. Set up editorial/production job bags, ensuring all relevant information is included, and liaise with typesetters to ensure that medical information is clearly conveyed in text, tables and figures.
• Check all proof stages from initial layouts to printers' proofs, liaising with typesetters at each stage, incorporating client/author corrections as required.
• Liaise with internal staff to ensure full input and approval of copy, keeping team informed of project status, and attending status/priority meetings as appropriate.
• Assist in delivering projects in accordance with budgeted hours and agreed deadlines.
• Manage submissions for journal manuscripts, including preparing submission packs and obtaining information from authors.
• Strong computer skills, including MS office, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook and Internet.
• Familiarity with reference management and publication planning databases an advantage.
• Good communication skills (written and verbal).
• Good command of English language and attention to detail.
• Eye for design and layout.
• Good copy-editing and proofreading skills.
• Knowledge of standard copy-editing/proof correction marks.
• Familiarity with standard scientific copy preparation/styling conventions.
• Sufficient knowledge of life science for critical review of copy.
• Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
• Ability to perform multiple tasks and prioritize work effectively.
• Ability to work to tight timelines.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, managers, clients and suppliers.
• Budgetary awareness/ability to assist with hours estimates for projects.
• Good computer skills, including MS office, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, Internet and reference management programs.
• Bachelor's degree, or equivalent, in English or Life Sciences (preferred) or equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Quintiles and IMSHealth have merged together to form the new QuintilesIMS. Each wanting to bring something new to customers, we deliver integrated information and technology solutions to drive healthcare forward. QuintilesIMS has approximately 50,000 employees conducting operations in more than 100 countries, dedicated to helping our clients improve their clinical, scientific and commercial results. As a global leader in protecting individual patient privacy, QuintilesIMS uses healthcare data to deliver critical, real-world disease and treatment insights.